What exactly do we mean by duplicate content? Web sites with identical pages and websites identical to another website on the net are considered as content duplication. Writing a content for a website is entirely a different thing to normal writing. It involves plenty of creative ideas and more importantly it should contain related keywords which are most used by the visitor.
Now let us see why you should avoid duplicating the content?
First of all, copying the content brings down the understanding of the concept. If you start understanding, it helps you grow. The scriptwriter should understand what something is and how it works. If you copy, you are missing out on that. You are just resurfacing the upper layer and not getting into layers underneath when you do that.
If you are not willing to write on your own, you will not know the exact intention and get stuck at one place. You will not know how to take it forward and the originality of the content will be missing.
While it is just easier to copy the content from someone else, why do you have to create a new one? If you don’t do that, you will not know how exactly it looks like, and you will not be able to read the way it should be read. The final outcome will be an artificial one.
Content Duplication and its impacts on SEO
1. Duplication of content will be considered a spam by all the search engines. There are so many websites with similar products, so the copywriter must be very careful in creating content. Search Engines likes fresh and unique content. It ranks websites depending primarily on the content used in web pages.
2. Changing the phrase of an existing content and rewriting is also considered as content duplication. Search Engines have ways to find out and it is supposed to be spam. This will certainly affect the ranking of a website.
3. When a website is reported to have duplicate content issues, the total number of pages ranked by the search engine will automatically come down. Fewer pages to rank will lessen the rankings and might lead to lower traffic.
4. It is important to make your content unique; otherwise, there is absolutely no point in doing all these. The search engines will not bother to feature your website in its result pages.
5. There is a difference between content duplication “penalties” and “filtering”. When we refer to the penalty in search engine rankings, we actually talk about points being reduced from your overall score, but the truth is, the pages are just filtered like you filter unwanted particles from a can of liquid. Accidently, this filtering can sometimes filter out your good articles too.
Tips to avoid Content Duplication
1. While preparing content, make sure you don’t copy it from somewhere and try to replace the words with exact meanings. The search engines have already come up with a solution to deal with this issue.
2. Before you sit down to write, ask yourself what exactly will create value for your users.
3. Try to get various perspectives, take the good points from them and fill the rest with your own thoughts and creativity. After all, you have to make it happen and move forward.
4. You can be influenced by many, but make sure you don’t copy anything.
So while preparing content, watch out for duplication from search engine’s point of view and as well as loyal customer’s point of view. At the end of the day, it is the search engine and ultimately the customer who are going to “look” at your content, so make sure it is liked by both, otherwise, all the efforts you put in for your business to grow will go wasted.