Why Google Webmaster tools?August 20, 2009 4 comments
Google as a search giant knows how to help site owners and webmasters on the search index. Time to Time Google team has been updating Google Webmaster Tools list and now it has come to a good form. All over, these tools provide reports on your site visibility, diagnose problems, and as well helps to share information about your site to Google.
To start, here is the list
- Google Webmaster Tools are free and easy to set up through site owner verification process by adding a Google code Meta tag to the page or by creating and uploading a file with Google code. Once you are verified you can access the tools dashboard.
- Sitemap tool allows you to submit XML Sitemap with details on pages to index and priority to crawl pages. If you don’t have a sitemap create one and submit to site configuration sitemap section.
- Crawler access tool helps to generate and test robots.txt to specify how search engines should crawl and index site content.
- When you Google for the information you can see Sitelinks. Sitelinks displays inner links generated by Google and the algorithm depends on how related and useful it is for users queries. You have no control to add but you can block / remove the link from displaying the site links if you don’t want to list.
- Change of address is a special tool to tell Google about your new domain and helps to move your old site users to your new domain easily. This process has 4 simple steps to follow like content link verification, 301 redirects from old to the new domain, adding and verifying new site to Google webmaster tool and submitting the change of address.
- Geographic target tool helps to target users in a specific location. You can select the country based on the users you target and it would help for .com, .org and other top-level domains. Country specific domains like .in, co.uk and so are already associated with Country based listing.
- Preferred domain allows you to select the domain format which you like to display. You have options to select http://www.yourdomain.com and http://yourdomain.com. If you have selected http://www.yourdomain.com and the site inner page links with http://yourdomain.com then search results display URL’s take as http://www.yourdomain.com
- Crawl rate can be changed depending on the site’s root level depth and default crawl rate is recommended to avoid increase server’s bandwidth. This Crawl rate has no connection with how often Googlebot crawls your site.
- Top search queries tool has information on your site search keywords impressions and clickthrough ratio along with keywords position.
- Links to your site tool provides information on inbound links which anchor text for your site pages.
- Keywords and internal links tool show the common keywords Googlebot sees when it crawl’s the site and internal links shows the total number of pages linked to other pages in your site.
- Crawl errors is another special tool that lists issues Google encountered when crawling your site. The list includes HTTP, error in sitemaps, not followed pages, not found pages, pages restricted by robots.txt, timed out / unreachable pages for The Web, Mobile HTML, and Mobile WML / XHTML?
- Crawl stats tool shows statistics on Googlebot activity on pages crawled per day, kilobytes downloaded per day, time spent downloading a page and PageRank distribution.
- HTML suggestions are provided when Googlebot crawls your site and find issues with your site content. Working on these issues will help your site in better listing and users experience. Here you can find details on Meta description, Title tag and Non-indexable content in your site.
Now ask a question for yourself why don’t I use Google Webmaster tools, if I have as many tools and information from Google for free. Sign into Google Webmaster Tools with your Google account today!
July 19, 2010
iPhone SEO book launched.
Our popular E-Book Practical Search Engine optimization techniques is launched for the iPod Touch/iPhones. You can carry this simple iBook in your iPhones and use it as quick reference. Its available at iTunes to download now.
October 21, 2009
4 SEO Tools you would have missed
Day-to-Day we see a lot of SEO tools on the web and many people would have missed useful SEO tools that are not marketed well. Here are four SEO tools that you would have missed and you would be interested in using. Keyword frequency analysis (single words, two and three